Friday, October 2, 2009

Money Mantra #8: Admit Your Money Mistakes

John Powell wrote, "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." When you are trying to live cheaply and cheerfully, there is no question that stumbling blocks will be a part of the budgeting and spending cycle. Everyone has their weaknesses in saving money, whether it is "needing" the newest shoes, a penchant for too many lipsticks, overspending on eating out, or indulging in an electronic gadget that isn't as useful as it should be. In order to overcome your money missteps, I propose making a "no buy" list and keeping it in your wallet.

Mine would read: "No black t-shirts, no stationery, no seasonal items, ...".
By keeping a no buy list, I am identifying where I spend money that isn't needed and reminding myself of my past errant purchases. When I can avoid my money mistakes, I can move those dollars toward something else on my "to buy" list.

Cheap and Cheerful wants to know: What are your "soft spots" in your spending? How do you avoid these money mistakes?

1 comment:

  1. Scrapbooking supplies and magazines, definitely! I enjoy the months I ban myself from buying more scrapbook stuff and try to use things I already have--it feels good to make a dent in my overcrowded craft room.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails