Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cheap and Cheerful Chatter: $300 Grocery Challenge -- Week Two

I am happy to report that Operation (More) Organics was mostly a success. I purchased organic lettuce, apples, chives, carrots, peas, onions, chicken broth, milk, cheese, and yogurt and my grocery bill was only about 12% more than I anticipated spending.

My total for the week was $88.43. When you consider that I did not have to shop for one of my weekly dinners (lasagna), you can add that to your total spending but still come in under $100 for the week for the meals I planned.

For those taking the grocery challenge, please share your savings stories. Maybe $300 a month is too severe for your family but I know you are discovering new ways to stretch your grocery dollar and I'd love to hear them.

Also, I've got $124 left for November but we're staying with family for the week of Thanksgiving. Most likely, we'll spend less than $300 this month and coming in under budget would be great; I could use the money for treats on the Thanksgiving road trip, roll the money over into December for special holiday treats, or use it towards postage for our Christmas cards. How would you spend the extra cash?

1 comment:

  1. Jen,
    I've also found some good deals on organics at Costco. They carry organic peanut butter, eggs (around $5.00 for 24), strawberry jam, milk, fresh spinach, and salad mixes for cheaper than Trader Joe's.

    I haven't exactly reduced my grocery bill to $300/month, but if I did, I'd use the money saved for all the gifts I usually forget to budget for like the teachers/coaches, etc.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails